October 11, 2014
University of Connecticut
The Diversity Student Summit LIVE
WHAT IS THE SUMMIT?
The Diversity Student Summit is a premier student diversity conference built with one purpose in mind – to mobilize students and staff to be innovative in creating and sustaining more inclusive campus communities. This one-of-a-kind high energy/high impact day will dramatically increase the knowledge, skills and competencies needed to be effective leaders. Join the thousands who have attended and have distinguished themselves as Allies in Action.
10 REASONS TO ATTEND THE SUMMIT
1. AFFORDABLE. For $50, each participant receives continental breakfast, lunch, snack, swag and a full day with one of the top diversity/social justice trainers in the country. Priceless!
2. Comprehensive Resource & Activity Guide. Students want practical and effective tools to assist them in reaching out to their peers. Attendees receive a complete guide of activities, exercises and resources to immediately implement when they return to campus.
3. Edu-tainment–Education in an Entertaining manner. Today’s students need a more interactive and engaging format to capture and keep their attention. Students will dramatically increase their levels of diversity knowledge and skills to be more effective campus leaders.
4. Students will be equipped with the necessary skills employers expect in a competitive job market.
5. The Diversity Student Summit is a student-focused event that addresses many facets of diversity, not just one issue.
6. Spend the day learning from one of the nation’s leading diversity speakers on college campuses today, Dr. Maura Cullen. * See below for more information on Dr. Cullen.
7. Free subscription to our monthly Diversity Speaker Newsletter. Receive information that will keep you current on today’s diversity related issues.
8. Prizes, Music & Fun! The Summit is a positive, high energy and high impact learning environment that will leave you inspired to empower others.
9. Each participant will receive a Certificate of Completion that can be included on your resume.
10. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee! If you do not find value in the experience we will return the price of your registration.“The Diversity Student Summit was a life changing experience. I have been to many leadership and work training, but nothing can top the experience I had. I am in a Diversity class right now, and even so, I learned more in this day than in two months of classes. The Summit is eye-opening, inspirational, and most of all educational that will follow me for the rest of my life.” – Lizzie Dore, University of Rhode Island
“Maura is fantastic. It is truly refreshing to listen to someone who can effectively combine knowledge, humor, and a true passion for their craft. Her presentation has given me tools and insights that will continue to impact my life long after I have graduated from college.” – Matthew A. Jaskel, President, National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH), Kutztown University
Hurry, Seats Are Limited
|8:00 – 9:00 am||Registration & Continental Breakfast|
|9:00 – 9:15 am||Welcome|
|9:15 – 10:45||The Inclusive Community Connection|
|10:45 – 11:00||Break & Networking|
|11:00 – Noon||Mr. Fix-It & Friends|
|Noon – 1:30||Lunch|
|1:30 – 3:00||Becoming DiversitySmart: Building Diversity Competency & Skills|
|3:00 – 3:15||Break & Networking|
|3:15 – 4:00||Action Plans/Q&A|
|4:00||Prizes & Give-Aways|
Dr. Maura Cullen is considered one of the foremost authorities on issues of diversity and leadership having worked with over 500 colleges and universities in the United States, Canada and Australia. Maura has been referred to as being the best there is at simplifying the complex issues of diversity.
Founder of the Diversity Student Summit
Author of 35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say: Surprising Things We Say That Widen The Diversity Gap
Doctorate in Social Justice and Diversity Education from the University of Massachusetts/Amherst
25+ years experience as a diversity trainer/speaker
Founding faculty of the Social Justice Training Institute
Higher Education Student Affairs Professional
ACPA Diamond Honoree
ACUHO-I S. Earl Thompson Award Recipient
“We have struggle previously finding a way to engage all of the voices in our community around diversity. Bringing the Diversity Student Summit to campus changed that: it allowed for everyone to share their voice and their experience. It has helped build a strong foundation for future conversations!” – Jason M. Johnson, Residential Learning Coordinator, Virginia Tech
“I am a returning RA and dreaded coming to Diversity training. Maura kept us engaged for an incredible five hours through her activities, stories and humor. She made diversity easy to understand without making anyone feel guilty or angry and related it to our resident assistant role. By far this is the most enjoyable diversity training I have EVER attended!” – Andy Weinkauf, Resident Assistant, University of Wisconsin/Platteville, WI
“I went into the Diversity Student Summit with a bitter taste in my mouth from previous diversity workshops. However, Dr. Cullen fostered an atmosphere of respect and inclusion that valued each person’s opinions. I felt invited to step into my neighbor’s shoes in a safe and non-judgmental way. It really impacted how I approach diversity. Thank you!” - Adam Joslin, Virginia Tech
|*These are exclusive to students and staff of these institutions|
|October 11, 2014||University of Connecticut|
|March 22, 2014||Virginia Tech*|
|October 26, 2013||Bentley University|
|February 23, 2013||Florida Gulf Coast University|
|October 27, 2012||State University of New York Institute of Technology|
|October 13, 2012||Texas A&M*|
|March 3, 2012||University of Rhode Island|
|February 1, 2012||University of Illinois *|
|November 12, 2011||Texas A&M*|
|September 10, 2011||Kansas State University *|
|March 5, 2011||Westfield State University|
|October 23, 2010||Kutztown University|